Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Lets Talk About Sex"

"Lets Talk About Sex" was a show I came across last night. It explored the topic of sex,and how people from different cultures approach the "the talk" with their children. People in the U.S see it as an awkward thing, something that shouldn't be mention until after the fact. I'm going to be very honest,I'm one of those people in the U.S that finds this topic awkward. For example when I was in class,and my teacher was reading a very intimate part. It made me feel weird,and I could tell around the room it made other students weird. I mean because he's a teacher,and we knew we shouldn't know these things until we're some what of an adult. But in this case he was relax,and I remembered he said he lived in London for some time. Then it hit me,European's mentality isn't shying away from it, but facing it head on. It was also shown in the show. They visit Denmark, and the parents & teenagers there saw it as a nature thing. They know it's going to happen eventually,so they focus on the safe sex part more, and it worked! When they showed the statistics of U.S's STI rates,compare to the other counties, we were far ahead(and I mean way far ahead). They also shown the teen pregnancies, and it was the same thing, They also said a fatal mistake the U.S did, was the categories they put sex in. They put sex on the same level as drugs, and drinking. Which wouldn't work because as teenagers we say "Ohhh I wanna try that..." In stead of saying "I have time for that later,it's going to come...". We can't put sex on the same level as drugs and alcohol because it's NATURAL! I always wondered how other human beings on a remote island know what to do when wanting a child. Its a simple answer,we as human beings know that sex is a process in order to have a child,or pleasure (and by even writing this I have conflicted thoughts). We as people in the U.S have been conditioned by our culture, religion,and our surrounding to not tackle the subject sex. But we should think twice about it. I've always notice Tanisha's cousins speak freely about it time to time,and they know I'm young. But they come from Europe, and it doesn't matter. I would love to raise my child like that,but I have to rewire myself & thoughts. So now I'm trying to keep my mind open,but it's hard because of my little sister smh(I wish I was last so I wouldn't have to worry & take responsibilities).

P.S:  I don't think Ill every be able to talk to my parents about that stuff,yuck.
P.S.S: I'm serous...

No comments:

Post a Comment